While we’re on vacation, I’m rerunning some of my favourite blog posts of the past.
Did that title grab you? It sure got me when I saw it on CNN and even more so once I realized Dr. Sanjay Gupta was presenting these five baddies with Men’s Health Magazine. I watched the video so you don’t have to. So what are they?
Five foods to avoid:
1. Non-organic strawberries. Men’s Health contributing editor David Jack says they’re one of the worst fruits for heavy pesticides. They say buy organic or none at all.
2. White chocolate. I KNEW it was an imposter! It’s not really chocolate at all. It’s a wannabe that doesn’t have any of the antioxidant properties of actual chocolate.
3. Sprouts. Too much bacteria. You’re better off shredding carrots or cabbage.
4. Canned tomatoes. A resin in the can leaches into the tomatoes and puts a synthetic estrogen in there. They recommend tomatoes in a tetra pack or glass jar.
5. Swordfish. Very high in mercury and not a sustainable fish. Men’s Health says it’s better for you and for the environment to eat wild salmon.
If you’ll excuse me I need to shred a cabbage.
Originally published August 21, 2013